Household Mold

Household mold and mildew are smelly fungi that grow in humid and poorly ventilated places. Household mold can grow in almost any humid place.



Although we consider mold something to be avoided and a nuisance, it does serve a useful purpose. Mold helps to break down dead materials and can be found growing almost anywhere. As these materials break down the mold begins to produce spores. These spores are like seeds and are the molds method of survival.

Household mold causes odors and can damage anything that it grows on. Once mold begins to grow in your home the spores produced can be transferred from one location to another on air currents or by coming in contact with things that are moved about your home.

Efficient furnace filters and air conditioner filters can trap household mold spores and reduce the possibility of a mold outbreak. Air purifiers can also help to remove mold spores from the air.

Household mold growth almost always begins where there is an excessive amount of moisture. Basements are the most common place but from there household mold can spread to any place in your home.

Mold spores come from many sources. Maintain the humidity level in your home between 30 and 50 percent. Also don’t allow moisture to collect and remain in areas of your home. Dry any damp areas such as carpets and wood as soon as possible to prevent household mold growth.

When mold grows in your home, health problems can occur and building materials, and furniture can be damaged.

If you experience sinus congestion, cough, breathing difficulties, sore throat or skin and eye irritation then you may suffer from a mold allergy.



Once household mold begins to grow it is harder to deal with, so your best defense is in prevention.

Related posts:

  1. Mold Allergy
  2. Is There a Fungus Among Us?

Speak Your Mind

*