Mold Allergy

If you suffer from a mold allergy then the transition into spring and summer may not be a pleasant time of year for you. Although a mold allergy is not a big problem outside in the winter, it can still be a serious problem inside.



Like pollen allergies, a mold allergy is cause for concern in many people. When inhaled, microscopic spores can cause severe allergic reactions. Mold spores are very small and may not get caught in the protective mechanisms of our air passages.

A small part of the population may show mold allergy symptoms simply by eating foods, such as cheese, dried fruit, mushrooms, and foods containing yeast, soy sauce or vinegar.

Although more serious problems can occur, most people who have a mold allergy will show some common symptoms. These mold allergy symptoms include breathing difficulties such as wheezing, sore throat, cough, nasal congestion, eye irritation and sinus infections.

Elderly people, infants people with asthma and people with weak immune systems may have a more severe reaction to a mold allergy.

People with special health concerns should consult a medical professional if their health is affected by indoor mold.

Depending on the severity of your mold allergy, you may be able to control or even eliminate your reaction to mold in your home by improving indoor air quality.

Some of the things you can do to control your mold allergy

Install and maintain an efficient furnace filter or air conditioner filter. A high efficiency air filter will remove more spores and other biological contaminants than an inefficient filter. This will also help reduce the risk of mold problems throughout your home.



Keep the humidity level in your home between 30 and 50 percent. Mold requires moisture to grow. Dehumidifiers can be used to help maintain proper humidity levels.

Related posts:

  1. Household Mold
  2. Is There a Fungus Among Us?

Speak Your Mind

*